FCOC August Meeting
On August 21st NBIS in partnership with the FCOC conducted a successful risk management forum at the Hilton Garden Inn Orlando Airport. The next day the FCOC conducted a meeting at the Renaisance Hotel in Orlando Florida. A couple highlights from the meeting were:
- A word of thanks for a great risk management forum chaired by Billy Smith of NBIS on August 21st at the Hilton Garden Inn.
- The FCOC was approached by the Florida DOT on comments regarding route maps. The maps will be posted to the FCOC website for comment and an e-mail sent to the membership for suggestions. http://www.flcoc.com/florida-dot-requests-input.html
- KHL approached the FCOC to be an association supporter for their November 12-14 World Crane & Transport Conference at the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables Florida. A vote was conducted by the executive board to change the date and location of our last meeting of the year to coincide with their conference from 8 AM – Noon on November 12th. KHL will be sponsoring our meeting.
- Loreen Bobo and Nicole Colon from Central Florida Career Days spoke of the 3 day event held January 27-29 at the Central Florida Fairgrounds. www.ccdfl.com 39 schools from 6 school districts within a one hour drive of the fairgrounds attend the event to highlight construction career trade opportunities.
- A $2,000 check from the FCOC Scholarship fund was donated to the Central Florida Career Days Event.
- Loreen Bobo who also works for the Florida DOT on the I -4 Expansion Project gave a brief presentation regarding the giant project and encouraged FCOC members to bid.
- Rick Watson of Rick Watson & Associates spoke of his past business with the FCOC in conjunction with ABC on horizontal immunity and uniform crane regulation in the state of Florida. Rick recommended pursuing the exclusion of the Florida sales tax for new and used cranes in the state to encourage job growth and crane safety with the updating of crane fleets with the latest safety devices. A similar 2 year tax exclusion passed for the concrete truck industry last year. Rick agreed to send a formal service contract for review. The executive committee will reach out to the membership for opinions.
- Martha Kirby from Crane Rental Corporation was awarded a well deserved service award for her 10 years of hard work as FCOC Treasurer. http://www.flcoc.com/fcoc-presents-3-service-awards.html